Remember those days when any chair was your throne? Then along came the baby bump. Now, finding the perfect chair for pregnancy feels more elusive than a unicorn. But don’t sweat it—I’ve tapped into the wisdom of an expert who’s trod this path before. This is written from my own personal experience, as I am a women who suffers from pelvic floor pains all through my pregnancies!
Chair-ing is Caring: What to Look For
Between handling pregnancy cravings and understanding prenatal tests, you might not have considered the importance of a good office chair. However, the right chair makes a significant difference.
- Lumbar Support: Many experience lower back pain during pregnancy. A chair with proper lumbar support can help reduce this discomfort.
- Adjustable Height: Everyone has a different height preference. An adjustable chair ensures a comfortable fit for everyone.
- Armrests: Given the physical demands of pregnancy, having armrests can provide essential support and relief.
- Recline Option: Occasionally leaning back in a chair isn’t just about relaxation. It can offer substantial relief for your back.
Pricey or Price-less: Chairs For Pregnancy Budget Talk
As you and I know, the joys of baby-prepping come with plenty of shopping decisions. From cribs to strollers, expenses add up! So while it’s worth investing in a chair that won’t have you shifting every two minutes, we need to be smart shoppers. You can find comfort within a budget. It’s all about knowing where to look! Here are my pro mama tips:
Take a Seat and Hear My Recommendations:
- Balance Ball Chair: This isn’t just any chair; it’s a fitness buddy masquerading as office furniture. By encouraging active sitting, the Balance Ball Chair helps to subtly strengthen your core muscles. The design also promotes proper spinal alignment, encouraging better posture over time. It’s a fantastic option for those aiming to stay active, even while seated. But, it’s important to note that, despite its posture-enhancing properties, it might not provide the kind of sustained back support some pregnant women need, especially for longer periods.
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair: Don’t be fooled by its avant-garde design! This chair may look like it’s more about style than substance, but its unique structure is its magic. By shifting your weight forward, it encourages a more upright posture, removing stress from the lower back. This shift can potentially alleviate the pains and strains commonly felt in this area. Ideal for those who are looking to break the traditional seating mold, and focus on spinal health.
- Herman Miller Aeron Chair: Touted by many as the Rolls-Royce of office chairs, the Herman Miller Aeron Chair is in a league of its own. Crafted with precision and designed for optimal ergonomic comfort, it’s fully adjustable to cradle every curve of your body just right. From its iconic mesh fabric to its customizable lumbar support, every aspect of this chair screams luxury. And while it comes with a hefty price tag, the comfort and longevity it offers make it a worthwhile investment.
Behind the Backache: Pregnancy and Your Spine
Our bumps bring joy, excitement, and… some pesky back pain. As our babies grow, the added weight, the hormone rollercoasters, and a shift in our center of gravity can all play havoc with our spines. The right chair won’t solve everything, but it sure helps!
Stretch, Sip, Stroll: Moving Through Pregnancy
While we’re on the topic of backaches, let’s not forget to move it, move it! Sitting for long stretches can be a pain, quite literally. Hilary’s pro-tip? Weave in some stretches, take those all-important hydration breaks, and oh, become besties with your bathroom (trust me on this).
Rounding Up the Chair Chat
As we wrap up our chair talk, let’s circle back to what truly matters: You and your comfort. Every expecting mama deserves a cozy nook to nestle into, whether she’s working, reading, or just daydreaming about the baby. In the great chair hunt, keep your well-being front and center. Your back, mood, and (let’s face it) your sanity will thank you!
I’m inviting you to read this guide as well: Why Does Sitting Hurt During Pregnancy